Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Two BOB's in my BOV

I now have two Bug-Out Bags in my Bug-Out Vehicle. I have one BOB locked up inside a fortified compartment in my van since it contains a semi-auto pistol and lots of loaded magazines. Trouble is, it would take at least a minute under best circumstances to unlock the compartment and grab its contents. You never know when you might have to flee your vehicle in six seconds, not 60.

My backup BOB sits between the driver's and passenger's seats and consists of two parts: a medium-sized knapsack and a good-sized belt pouch, both in camo. I keep them fastened together and shielded from sight with a ratty-looking rain poncho. They are also fastened through a loop of heavy tow chain to discourage a snatch & run theft. (Since I know how it's fastened it would take me just a few seconds to undo it.)

The backup BOB contains a lot less preparedness than the one that's locked up but it does contain a few first aid supplies, several days' food, a one-person tent and ground cloth, warm under-layers, insulated mittens, 2 pair socks, rain poncho, a map, cash, two LED head lamps, space blanket, fire-starter, waterproof matches, lots of 100% DEET, a knife, camo cord, knit wool cap and wide-brim cotton hat, water, and other stuff I'm not recalling just now. Oh yes, I have a couple of spray cans of 0.5% permethrin for clothing so I'm not bitten by ticks while barging through the underbrush. My #2 BOB contents will certainly change over time but it's not bad for something quickly assembled.

If it is cold weather, I presume I would have appropriate outer wear in the van to augment what's in the alternate BOB. Also, after I complete two pistol courses, I expect to begin making use of my concealed carry permit so I would be already armed if I have to flee suddenly.

I used to not worry about locking my van unless I was going into a store or otherwise leaving it unattended. Now I lock all doors while I am driving. It's not that I'm so worried now, I am simply forming good habits for later when thieves get bolder and more desperate. I can easily imagine pulling up to a stop sign, having someone yank open my rear door, grab something, and take off running. By the time I pulled out of traffic and parked they would be long gone. Worse yet would be someone yanking me out of the driver's side door and driving off with the van (unlikely because I'm good-sized, but possible certainly). I lock that door with my elbow now as soon as I shut the door. Then I unlock The Club from my steering wheel. I put this anti-theft device on the back side of the steering wheel so the key slot faces the dashboard. That way someone equipped with lock-picking or tumbler-yanking tools will have a tougher time of it.

Next: a BOB for the house. I could otherwise be awakened by the screeching tires of my own van being stolen from my driveway and be suddenly BOB-less. Of course I could find myself cut off from both van and house and have to rely on my buried caches: http://www.preparednessequipment.com

No comments:

Post a Comment